CONGRATULATIONS : 22 y-o JAMAICAN Lavois Cruickshank is the recipient of the 2015 University of Birmingham, UK and Jamaica National Foundation Legacy Scholarship....His grade point average has never fallen below 4.0 while at UWI

 Sunday, July 19, 2015    
TWENTY-TWO year old Lavois Cruickshank is the recipient of the 2015 University of Birmingham and Jamaica National Foundation Legacy Scholarship.
He recently completed an undergraduate double major degree in economics and finance and will head to Birmingham Business School this fall to pursue a Masters in Financial Economics.
"It is still surreal to me," Cruickshank said. "I am still in amazement. I was really surprised when I saw the scholarship offer in my email, because I personally knew some of the other shortlisted candidates and their capabilities."
Lavois Cruickshank is the second recipient of the University of
Birmingham and Jamaica National Foundation Legacy Scholarship.
The scholarship covers tuition for the duration of a master’s
 programme at Birmingham Business School.
 (PHOTO COURTESY OF JN)
The Calabar past student is the second recipient of the Legacy Scholarship, which was introduced in February 2014 for a three-year period, offering one scholarship annually for a Jamaican undergraduate to study at the Birmingham Business School.
The pending transition is causing mixed emotions for the young man, who is the last of four children and who has never been away from home.
"I am anxious to experience life away from home, as it would be my first time travelling to and residing in England, as well as, being away from home. However, I will embrace this learning experience, not only for my educational development, but on a personal level. I am excited about this new experience and I am ready to soak it all in," he said.
Cruickshank is a high academic achiever. His grade point average has never fallen below 4.0 while at University of the West Indies and, needless to say, he has consistently made the Dean's List. He credits this to planning and having a good support system.
"It may sound strange, but, I do like exams and it is simply because I am always prepared. It also helped that I enjoyed what I was studying. I create study plans well in advance of my exams, and I assign a course or topic to a specific day. It is really structured so that I cover all my subjects. And, through all of this, I have had major support from my parents and siblings, who help to keep me grounded," he said.
While still unsure what his ideal job is likely to be upon completion of his master's, Cruickshank is trusting the "ordained" path.
"What I do know is that the experience and the master's certification will put me in good stead to contribute to the economic development of my country, either in the public or private sector. For now, I am leaving everything to God as this whole thing is because of him. Before I went to the scholarship interview, I said to myself that if I am to get the scholarship, I will, and I did because it was destined to happen," said the young man, who is a devoted member of the Church of the Open Bible. more

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tessanne Chin's Husband, Michael Anthony Cuffe Jr Moves Out Of Marital Home

IN JAMAICA: MURDER-SUICIDE, Woman cop, 28-year-old Pagiet Davie among two killed in suspected murder-suicide...."She was a person who was determined; she loved life and she was goal-oriented"