KINGSTON, Jamaica– Deported former Windies & Jamaican cricketer Franklyn Rose tells his story of the horrendous treatment he received in New Zealand

 Monday, April 18, 2016 | 3:12 PM    
KINGSTON, Jamaica – Franklyn Rose, a former West Indian pace bowler who was recently deported from New Zealand, expressed disappointment in that country’s immigration system as he recounted the events that led to his deportation in a news release today from the West Indies Players' Association.
Franklyn Rose (Photo:
“I need to let people know what really happened, man. I am disappointed in the New Zealand Immigration system. I am very disappointed,” Rose repeated, before recounting being locked up abroad and then deported.
The following is a description of events, recounted by Rose, according to the WIPA release: Rose commenced his professional contract with New Zealand Cricket playing and coaching at the club level in 2010. He played two years at the club level before his contract ended, with high hopes of retaining a new one. This, however, did not happen for the Jamaican and former West Indian player.
According to Rose, in 2012 he was victim to a traumatic racial assault – one that changed his life forever. Four Caucasian men slurred racially discriminatory words while attacking him in an attempt to steal his car, he said in the release.
“They beat me down. One [guy] missed my head and chopped me on the hand.”
The former cricketer was subsequently admitted to hospital in the Intensive Care Unit for three days before being released prematurely.
“The nurses kicked me out, [they] said they needed to care for other patients. And after a day, my friend had to take me back to the hospital. I was having some serious pains,” Rose said. “The doctors told me I had a blood clot in my lungs and I had nerve damage in my hand.”
His cricket career was seemingly over. And irrespective of his medical condition, Rose said he was once again thrown out of the hospital after three days.
A few days later, Rose said he had to be taken back to the emergency room but the public hospital refused to treat him.
“They thought that I was addicted to drugs or pain medication or something. They knew I was sick though; that I had a blood clot. I ended up going to a private hospital instead,” Rose said.
The refusal to treat him, Rose believed, was racially inspired as well. He emphasised that the private hospital fees ranged as high at US$1,500 a day, which he had to pay out-of-pocket. more

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts