IN JAMAICA : (CONGRATS) Patrenia Williams, 19-year-old young woman from Merrywood, St Elizabeth, is NCB's Foundation's Scholarship Awards Programme top girl 2015...Patrenia is also a 2015 PALAS applicant. Results will be released August 1st

 AINSWORTH MORRIS Career & Education writer  Sunday, July 26, 2015   
WHEN Patrenia Williams received a letter from one of Jamaica's leading financial institutions that she had not been short-listed for a scholarship it was offering, she felt admittedly down-trodden.
However, little did the 19-year-old young woman from Merrywood, St Elizabeth, know at that time that there was something bigger in store for her.
Patrenia Williams, the top girl in NCB Foundation’s
 Scholarship Awards Programme for 2015
(PHOTO: PAUL MULLINGS)
Last Thursday, she was named parish champion for St Elizabeth, and ultimately, top girl in the National Commercial Bank (NCB) Foundation's Scholarship Awards Programme for 2015.
The award values $500,000 per year for the three years that she will spend pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting at the University of the West Indies (UWI), Mona.
"I was written to say that unfortunately I was not shortlisted by another financial institution, and I haven't got a response from the other organisations. However, I can now rejoice, because NCB Foundation has provided me with a full scholarship which will cover my tuition costs and my living expenses at the University of the West Indies," Williams, told the Jamaica Observer after the awards ceremony.
A burden has been lifted she said, as she has an older sister currently enrolled at UWI.
"Getting a scholarship takes away a lot of stress. I applied for a student loan, but I never really knew where the additional funds would have come from because I would still have had living expenses, among other things. Now, my scholarship will cover tuition and boarding. My mind is a little more at ease," Williams said.
Explaining why she chose accounting she said: "I love numbers. I enjoy working with numbers, so I believe accounting is a good field in which I can exercise that love, and I believe there are better opportunities in accounting for me.
"I want to become a chartered accountant, particularly focusing on auditing. I really like the challenge auditing gives and it is something that I will enjoy doing," she added. more

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tessanne Chin's Husband, Michael Anthony Cuffe Jr Moves Out Of Marital Home

IN JAMAICA: MURDER-SUICIDE, Woman cop, 28-year-old Pagiet Davie among two killed in suspected murder-suicide...."She was a person who was determined; she loved life and she was goal-oriented"