The 'Pocket Rocket' Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce explodes again in Beijing to win GOLD in 100m

BY HOWARD WALKER  Tuesday, August 25, 2015
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce known to fans worldwide as the 'Pocket Rocket' exploded again in Beijing at the Bird's Nest stadium to score an impressive 10.76 seconds to successfully defend her World Championship 100m crown. In doing so she became the first woman to capture three 100m titles, thereby cementing her place as one of, if not the greatest female sprinters of all time.
"I didn't know that I was the first woman to win three World Championship titles, but hey, that's good," said Fraser-Pryce while bursting out into laughter.
01Fraser-Pryce, 28, who also won gold in 2009 and 2013, got her usual bullet start and led from gun to tape, holding off the flying Dutchwoman, Dafne Schipper (10.81 seconds) and American Tori Bowie back in third spot with 10.86 seconds.
Veteran Veronica Campbell-Brown was just outside the medals finishing fourth in 10.91 with debutant Natasha Morrison ended in seventh position with a time of 11.02 seconds.
It was Jamaica's second gold medal of the Championships and its third medal overall. Jamaica are now second in the medal table with two gold and a bronze. Kenya with six medals inclusive of two gold, two silver and two bronze are on top. Great Britain are third with two gold medals.
Fraser-Pryce with her sixth gold moved into fifth position on the all-time list with eight medals overall and trail country woman Merlene Ottey (14), American Allyson Felix (10), Jearl Miles (USA) and Campbell-Brown on nine each.
Sporting green braids with a garland of yellow sunflowers at the front, Fraser-Pryce won easier than the winning margin would suggest having enough time to raise her hand in triumph just metres before crossing the winning line.
The double Olympic champion revealed she was happy for the win but disappointed she did not break her own national record of 10.70 seconds.
"I am really excited, I came here and got the win but I believe there was more in terms of time that I wanted but it wasn't to be. I have a next race (Diamond League) and I am looking forward to getting it there. I know it's there. It will come but I have to be patient," said Fraser-Pryce.
Fraser-Pryce said she knew she won the race from the start and there were never any doubts.
"I think my start was good. A lot of persons talk about me getting the start but I have come from behind before. But I like to be in front from the beginning, so I work on that and use it to my advantage," she said. more

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tessanne Chin's Husband, Michael Anthony Cuffe Jr Moves Out Of Marital Home

IN JAMAICA: MURDER-SUICIDE, Woman cop, 28-year-old Pagiet Davie among two killed in suspected murder-suicide...."She was a person who was determined; she loved life and she was goal-oriented"